Where dedication meets expertise in Notary Services

Employment law can be complicated. We stay on top of multiple regulations and legislations so that our clients don’t have to.

What is a Notary Public?

A Notary Public is a specialist lawyer who deals with documents for use in foreign countries. A Notary’s signature and seal are generally recognised worldwide. If you require a document to be accepted as authentic in a foreign country you will usually need a Notary Public to notarise that document.

What does a Notary Public offer?

A Notary Public can notarise documents for use all over the world. The Notary Public has to be satisfied that the person signing the document is correctly identified by production of their current official photo -ID, that he or she understands the nature of the document and the legal implications of it and has the relevant capacity to execute it. Where appropriate the Notary will witness the signatures and then affix their own signature and Seal of Office.

Why do I need a Notary Public?

You may require a document to be Notarised in the following cases:

  • Executing a Power of Attorney either personally or on behalf of a company or other legal entity for use in another country
  • Establishing a branch or subsidiary of an English company abroad
  • Opening a foreign bank account
  • Appointing foreign lawyers
  • Buying or selling a property overseas
  • Sending a certified copy of your passport abroad
  • When marrying abroad you may need to provide evidence of your single status to that jurisdiction
  • Getting duplicate documents such as a passport
  • Swearing an Oath or Affidavit
  • Making a Statutory declaration
  • Authenticating a translation of a document
  • Getting permission for a child to travel with one parent
  • Legalisation or Apostille of documents
  • Registration of Trade Marks
  • Notarisation of commercial documents
Do I need an Apostille or Legalisation?

Some countries may also require the additional step of the document being Legalised. This is a process whereby the Foreign and Commonwealth Office confirm the validity of the Notary’s signature and seal. Once this check has been carried out a certificate called an ‘Apostille’ is attached to the notarised document.

The need for Legalisation depends on the country involved and the requirements of the receiving party and we can advise you regarding this.

We can also arrange for the Apostilling to take place on an urgent or nonurgent basis depending on your requirements.

Foreign language documents

If you have a document that is currently in a foreign language it may be necessary to get an official translation of that document into English. We can advise you on whether this is required and also help you to obtain a translation which can be certified as authentic.

Notarisation – how much will it cost?

The cost will depend on the number of documents you require Notarising, as well as a number of other factors including whether the document also needs to be Apostilled and /or legalised and if so whether on an urgent or non-urgent basis.

Please contact me for a formal quote although we may need to see scanned copies of the documents concerned before being able to provide one.

Identification required when seeing a Notary Public

To comply with the relevant anti-money laundering regulations a Notary must confirm the identity of the appearer before being able to proceed with the Notarisation itself. When attending an appointment with a Notary, each person signing the document must provide at least one of the following:-

  • A valid passport
  • Driving licence with photo ID card
  • National identity card (only for EEA state members)
  • Armed forces pass (with photo and signature)
  • Firearms licence (with photo and signature)
  • Any other official government issue ID card (with photo and signature)
  • Residence permit (where relevant)

They must also provide separate proof of address by producing the original one of the following, from within the last 3 months containing their name and current residential address :-

  • A bank statement or letter from bank
  • A utility bill or council tax bill (not a mobile phone bill)
  • A Tenancy agreement or Housing Association rent card for your current address
  • An Inland Revenue tax demand or self assessment statement

If acting on behalf of a Company or other legal entity, evidence must also be produced evidence of the due incorporation of that entity. This may be one of the following documents although this will be confirmed at the time by the Notary :-

  • Certificate of Good Standing
  • Up to date printout from official registry
  • Certificate of incorporation
  • Latest report and audited accounts
  • Up to date certified copy of partnership agreement
  • Evidence of being regulated by a regulatory body such as the Law Society or FSA.

In addition to the above, each signatory will also need to produce one of the identification and proof of address documents mentioned above.


If you have a complaint you can see a copy of my formal complaints procedure here.

Terms of business

My full terms of business can be seen here.

Contact Us
Key contact

Mark Barnett
Head of Immigration
& Notary Public

+44 (0)20 7317 3288

Get in touch

Fill out the form and we will be in touch as soon as possible.